• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Nuts and Seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackie jones

Bluelight Crew
I am a nut nut. :)

I would like to know some nuts with wicked high, and perhaps rare nutrients.

My favorites are Flax (for omega 3s and fiber), shelled Hemp seeds (flavor and nutrition), the Walnut (flavor), and Cacao (flavor, nutrition, psychoactive properties).

What is your favorite type of nut or seed, and why?

aren't 'Brazil Nuts' meant to be really full of goodies...

one single nut has your daily dose of .... ??? starts with C (Celium?)

SLAP~!

Sunflowers
Linseed
Almonds
Pepitas

that combo is the pure goods ~ not sure why, just remember being told its a great mix of all the goodness nuts can provide

I like to eat nuts, seeds and legumes in amounts that correspond to how easy they are to grow (I take that as an indicator of how often you are supposed to consume them!).

The peanut (which is neither a pea nor a nut), I eat relatively frequently. On my street there is a peanut vendor who cooks it with chili, and I have a handful several time a week.

Other seeds, like pumpkin or watermelon seeds, I am also very liberal with.

Fruit nuts I eat a few times a month, because too many are quite heavy for me. My favorite is our local pili nut, which is reported to be highest in fat (even more than the macadamia). It is very good and smooth, but after awhile of eating it, you get dizzy. To conserve your pleasure, you need to stop and listen once in awhile, instead of just popping pili nuts habitually into your mouth. :D

I also break apart the seed of the talisay tree in my yard to get a kernel that tastes like an almond.

Soaking and cooking nuts make them also (in general) easier to digest, so I would eat more amounts of them in that form than if they were raw.

My favorite nuts hardly have any nutritional literature on them, so I can't go into those details now.

aren't 'Brazil Nuts' meant to be really full of goodies...

one single nut has your daily dose of .... ??? starts with C (Celium?)

SLAP~!

Sunflowers
Linseed
Almonds
Pepitas

that combo is the pure goods ~ not sure why, just remember being told its a great mix of all the goodness nuts can provide

Selenium :)

My professor was just lecturing on this - he eats brazilian nuts to protect against cancer. He hates pharm companies and think their new study that says there's no link between selenium and cancer is bullshit. So, he has said in his lecture that he strongly believes that selenium protects against things like lung, colon, and prostate cancer. He's a biochem II professor, btw so I lean towards believing him.

Last edited:
i recently read the results of a study that took a year of experimentation to determine that eating nuts daily increase cardiovascular function 5-6% (and in conjunction with olive oil: 13%.) so get whatever nuts ya can!

i've never been a fan of seeds but i have a good source for chia seeds so they find their way into my breakfast. according to wiki, they're somethin special:

Chia seeds are typically small ovals with a diameter of about one millimeter. They are mottle-colored with brown, gray, black and white. Chia seeds typically contain 20% protein, 34% oil, 25% dietary fiber (mostly soluble with high molecular weight), and significant levels of antioxidants (chlorogenic and caffeic acids, myricetin, quercetin, and kaempferol flavonols). The oil from chia seeds contains a very high concentration of omega-3 fatty acid — approximately 64%.[5] Chia seeds contain no gluten and trace levels of sodium.[2] There are no known toxic components of chia.[citation needed]

The healthiest seeds are hemp, flax, soy, and apparently chia (which I did not know about until reading this thread). The tastiest IMO are almonds and walnuts, which are both quite healthy.

I have never heard of eating cocoa beans by themselves. I do not know where to get them, but I will try them if I see them. OP, what do you mean by psychoactive properties of cocoa? Cocoa has some xanthines, but I find the effect of cocoa powder to be much more diuretic than stimulating.

I am a nut nut. :)

I would like to know some nuts with wicked high, and perhaps rare nutrients.

My favorites are Flax (for omega 3s and fiber), shelled Hemp seeds (flavor and nutrition), the Walnut (flavor), and Cacao (flavor, nutrition, psychoactive properties).

What is your favorite type of nut or seed, and why?

I love eating cashews and pistachios. I'm not sure if they're "up there" in nutrition content, relative to some of the other nuts, but they sure are tasty :D Walnuts are also very good, in fact the only nut I dont really like is macadamia.
I dont really buy hempseed but I eat the ones I find in my bags. :\
I would bother with flax seeds but I eat a few grams of fish oil everyday so there's no need really.

would bother with flax seeds but I eat a few grams of fish oil everyday so there's no need really.

Yeah there is. Flax has more beneficial components than ALA. It also has lignans, lots of fiber (both water-soluble and -insoluble), and a decent amount of protein.

The healthiest seeds are hemp, flax, soy, and apparently chia (which I did not know about until reading this thread). The tastiest IMO are almonds and walnuts, which are both quite healthy.

I have never heard of eating cocoa beans by themselves. I do not know where to get them, but I will try them if I see them. OP, what do you mean by psychoactive properties of cocoa? Cocoa has some xanthines, but I find the effect of cocoa powder to be much more diuretic than stimulating.

there is this vendor i know who sells a full spectrum theobroma cacao 25x extract. i ate 10 grams of it one night. i got a very intense, unique, euphoric high for an hour or so, then i got pretty sick and had a cacao hangover for about 24 hours. next time i will eat 1/4 that amount and see what happens.

i LOVE ALL NUTS!

Like the above poster, pistachios and cashews happen to be my very favorite, but I don't discriminate against any nut, they're all tasty and healthy!

I love tahini!! (ground up sesame seeds) I think it's a vegan must-have because it has iron and calcium. Though I wonder if it's enough...
I also end up consuming some form almond just about ever day, whether it's actual raw almonds, almond butter or almond milk. Good stuff.

Other than that, not much else. I wonder what would happen if you made a flax seed tahini? I want to incorporate flax more into my diet, but it's hard to do culinarily.

Other than that, not much else. I wonder what would happen if you made a flax seed tahini? I want to incorporate flax more into my diet, but it's hard to do culinarily.

Ground flax (I use a coffee grinder) with water has some very interesting properties, I think due to mucilage and/or soluble fiber. It is very gooey and cohesive. Adding flax to the diet is not hard: put it in cereal, on sandwiches, whatever. I love adding flax to salsa. It gives the salsa a texture similar to hummus.

Yeah there is. Flax has more beneficial components than ALA. It also has lignans, lots of fiber (both water-soluble and -insoluble), and a decent amount of protein.

True, however the omega 3 fatty acids in fish oil are EPA and DHA and flax seed oil has ALA right? That said you have to be careful that your fish oil is from a source where they test for heavy metal content.

Doesn't hurt to supplement with both if you're not vegetarian :)

+1 to brazil nuts, almonds and cashews! Yummy!

Morning glory seeds! But seriously the only nuts I really eat by themselves are cashews. I have yet to find anything else that comes close. I don't believe I've ever tried Brazil nuts though.

Which nuts are the best?

Which nuts provide the most protein and healthy fats. I.e. which should I be eating at work for a snack. I usually go with peanuts.

Almonds

Probably originated in the Near East but now grows in Southern Europe, Western Asia, California, South Australia and South Africa. Almond oil is used for flavouring and for skin care preparations and is extracted from the kernel of the Bitter Almond. The Sweet Almond is grown for nuts for eating and have the largest share of the nut trade world-wide. Almond flour is available and it is possible to make a nutritious nut milk from almonds. Almonds are particularly nutritious, 100g contain 16.9g protein, 4.2mg iron, 250mg calcium, 20mg vitamin E, 3.1mg zinc and 0.92mg vitamin B2.

Brazils

A native of South America. The nuts grow inside a hard, woody fruit rather like a coconut shell which has to be broken open to expose the 12-24 nuts inside. Brazils are high in fat, which causes them to go rancid very quickly, and protein. 100g of brazils contain 12g protein, 61g fat, 2.8mg iron, 180mg calcium, 4.2mg zinc.

Cashews

Native to America but now grown extensively in India and East Africa. It will withstand rather drier conditions than most other nuts. The nut grows in a curious way on the tree, hanging below a fleshy, apple-like fruit. It is related to the mango, pistachio and poison ivy. High in protein and carbohydrate, 100g cashews contain 17.2g protein, 60 micrograms vitamin A, 3.8mg iron.

Chestnuts

The sweet chestnut is a native of South Europe but is planted elsewhere extensively for both nuts and timber. The nuts can be used in soups, fritters, porridges, stuffings and stews, as well as being roasted or boiled whole. Available fresh (in autumn), dried, canned - whole or pureed, or ground into flour. Dried chestnuts need soaking for at least 1-2 hours and boiling for 45-60 minutes, fresh need boiling for 40 minutes before being peeled. Preserved in syrup they become the famous delicacy, Marron-glace. High in starch, but low in protein and fat, 100g chestnuts contain 36.6g carbohydrate, only 2g protein (the lowest of all nuts) and 2.7g fat.

Coconuts

The coconut palm is common in tropical regions all over the world. The nut is covered in a fibrous outer coating on the tree and all parts of the tree are useful, the trunks for timber, the leaves for thatch, the fibrous husk produces coir - the starting material for ropes and coconut matting - and the nuts are used for food. Unripe nuts contain coconut milk. The nutmeat can be eaten fresh or dried (desiccated or flaked coconut) and is also available in blocks of creamed coconut. A valuable oil is also extracted from the nut meat and used for cooking (although it is very high in saturated fat), margarines, soaps and detergents. 100g fresh coconut contain 3.2g protein and 36g fat, dessicated contain 5.6g protein and 62g fat.

Hazels

Hazel, also called Cob, is a common wild tree in Europe and Asia and its nuts have been eaten by humans since earliest times. The cultivated varieties are bigger and the filbert is a similar but bigger species from SE Europe. Used in sweet and savoury dishes, they are available whole, ground and flaked, or made into oil and nut butter. 100g hazel nuts contain 7.6g protein, and they are lower in fat than most other nuts.

Macadamia Nuts

A native of NE Australia now also grown commercially in Hawaii. Notoriously difficult to extract from their shells, they are expensive but have a delicious creamy flavour and crunchy texture. Low in carbohydrate, but quite high in fat, 100g Macadamia nuts contain 7g protein and 40mg calcium.

Peanuts

Also known as groundnuts or monkey nuts, peanuts are actually legumes. Of South American origin, it's now an important crop all over the tropics and southern USA. It gets its name groundnut because as the pods ripen, they are actually forced underground. Peanuts are high in protein and contain 40-50% oil. The oil is used in cooking, as salad oil, in margarines and the residue is fed to animals. Whole peanuts can be eaten raw or roasted or made into peanut butter (look out for brands which do not contain hydrogenated oils, which are highly saturated). As they are usually inexpensive, they can be mixed with other kinds of nuts to bring down the cost, while still maintaining flavour and good nutrition. 100g peanuts contain 24.3g protein, 2mg iron and 3mg zinc.

Pecans

A native of N America where it is used extensively in ice cream, cakes, nut bread and confectionery. The flavour is rather like a mild, sweet walnut. 100g pecans contain 9.2g protein, a very high fat content of 71.2g, 130 micrograms vitamin A (also very high), 2.4mg iron and 73mg calcium.

Pine Nuts

These are the seeds of the Stone Pine, a native of the Mediterranean region, but the seeds of various other pines are eaten in various parts of the world including the seeds of the Korean Pine or North American pinon tree. They are very difficult to harvest, hence their cost. They are vital for pesto sauce, and are delicious lightly toasted. They become rancid very easily and should be stored in the fridge or freezer. 100g pine nuts contain 14g protein.

Pistachios

Native to the Near East and Central Asia but has long been cultivated in the Mediterranean region and more recently in the Southern US. The kernels are green and are prized as much for their ornamental colour as for their flavour. Also sold roasted and salted in their shells. They are more expensive than most other nuts. 100g pistachios contain 19.3g protein, 14mg iron, 140mg calcium.

Walnuts

The walnut is native to SE Europe and West & Central Asia but is now grown in the UK, California and China as well. It is grown for timber as well as its nuts. Walnut oil has been used for centuries in the preparation of artists paints. The black walnut is a native of North America, introduced into Britain in the 17th century. The butternut is also from North America. These two have much thicker shells than European walnuts. High in fat, they go rancid very quickly and should be stored in the fridge or freezer. 100g walnuts contain 10.6g protein and 2.4mg iron.

/V

Status
Not open for further replies.